So, ordinarily I don’t like these sorts of things. But they can be fun, so why not?
I was nominated by Tilion of Dragon Season for this. Basically a Liebster Award is a way to introduce yourself to your readers, as well as potentially introduce them to some other blogs they may not already know about.
So, here goes.
Some random facts about me:
- I am currently eating a cinnamon bagel (NO RAISINS THEY ARE AN ABOMINATION) as I write this.
- I have two jobs – one is the day-to-day pays-the-bills job which isn’t my favorite thing ever (it’s not even remotely close to being in the field I want to work in) but, well, it pays the bills. The other is a contract job I’ll talk about later. I also freelance when I find time to!
- I am writing this before I start my day of running around, packing, and cleaning; if there are no further delays I’m supposed to be moving TOMORROW. Eek.
- 2014 was a horrible year for me – I left a job that had me so stressed that I was ill for months, was unemployed for half the year (and hated the job I did end up getting but at that point couldn’t afford to hold out for anything better), and had to put off my wedding. Already this year I’ve quit the job I got late last year for a better one and gotten married. 2015 is going much, much better.
- I have a Guild Wars 2 Collector’s Edition that is signed by the ArenaNet team. It lives on a shelf placed right in the middle of my bookcase. It is awesome.
- Speaking of my bookcase, I love books. I love reading. I am not picky about if it’s a print book or an ebook – I just really like books. Also, if you make a cross-country move, you’ll suddenly appreciate ebooks a lot more because they don’t weigh anything.
- I really like making things. I cook, bake, sew, knit, crochet, draw, write, design, and so on. It’s a lot of fun.
- Connected to my love of cooking, I like growing things. I’m planning out a container garden I’m going to set up on my porch once we’re moved into our new place. Who says you can’t grow your own food if you live in an apartment? 😛
- I suffer from severe depression and anxiety. It really sucks, and I used to hide it as much as I could. I’m trying to be more open about these things, as it’s easier for me to control, and sometimes talking about your experiences can help another person.
- My favorite candy is Sour Patch Kids. One year my mom gave me a giant bag as a joke for my birthday. Every holiday my mother-in-law sticks a bag in my gifts. It’s kind of hilarious and awesome.
- I am normally a pretty quiet, shy person. I tend to being very introverted and withdrawn, so it’s hard for me to talk casually with people and jump into conversations. That said, I’m also opinionated as all hell, so I have a lot of mental conflict over sharing my opinions and keeping them to myself because I worry that either people won’t care or they’ll think negatively of me for sharing them.
The questions Tilion asked:
- What is your most favourite genre in gaming? What makes you be so attached to it?
Um, so. Here’s a confession – I really don’t play many games anymore. It’s just not something I have the time for as much as I’d like to…and I have a really short attention span as well that makes it difficult. I don’t really have a favorite genre at this point. Realistically, I’d say it’s “games I can play for 10 minutes and then go do something else”. I play GW2 a lot, the Sims on occasion, and little silly casual puzzle games.
- Would you like to work in the gaming industry? If yes, why and what would be your plans for when you actually have your dream position?
SO. ABOUT THAT. The contract job I do that I mentioned above? Well, I’m the UI Designer at a small indie studio, Games Omniverse. Graphic design is what I’d been going to school for, so UI design is right up my alley. It’s also one of those things that is both extremely important and incredibly overlooked much of the time. Good UI is pleasing to the eye, accessible, easy to use, and blends with the rest of the game. If I manage to move onto larger projects, UI is exactly what I want to be doing.
- What makes you blog or interact with gaming communities?
It’s fun. And I like talking about stuff. The reason I started this blog was because I was annoying friends with how much I was talking about GW (and GW2 a bit later), so I started writing things down instead so I could get it out of my head.
- What would attract your attention in someone and keep a conversation with them going?
So, I am really horrible at this sort of thing, actually. I’m the kind of person that tends to just let a convo drift away and die on its own. Easiest way to catch my attention and keep a conversation going with me, though, is actually the main rule of my guild – “Don’t be an asshole”. It’s that simple.
- Do you read the comments?
Um, well, on bigger ‘news’/press sites? No. That’s dangerous territory and I haven’t the energy to deal with that kind of nonsense. But on most blogs I read? Certainly.
- What would be the next place you would like to visit around the world?
There are a ton of places I’d like to go, but my top choice to go visit is Ireland. That’s where most of my ancestors on both sides of my family immigrated from, so I’d love to go visit it.
- What’s your favourite sweet? Do you make it by yourself? In either case provide pics!
Cinnamon rolls with cream cheese icing. When I’m not lazy and have time for it, I make my own. Here is a picture of a small batch I made.
- Which is your favourite movie and why?
Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back. Because it’s Star Wars, and the BEST of the SW movies. No argument. I want Cloud City to be a real place that exists and where I can live. Also, I want to be a Jedi. Yes, I’m an adult, I promise.
- In case of rain, what would you adopt, cats or dogs?
Cat cat cat cat cat cat caaaaaaaaaaaaaaat. I like dogs and all, but I’m definitely a cat person. I did have some awesome dogs growing up though, including a Welsh Corgi and a Rottweiler. If I were to get a dog, it’d have to be one of those two breeds. But, cat. We want to adopt a cat soon, and ideally I want a female tortoiseshell that I will name Lyssa.
- If you could change something in you, what would that be?
Just one thing? Um. I guess that I wish that I wasn’t so easily discouraged by failure or things not working as I want them to.
- Outside of gaming and blogging what’s your favourite pastime activity?
As mentioned above, reading. My absolute favorite book is Deerskin by Robin McKinley. It’s fantastic, I’ve reread it more times than I can count, and I can quote large parts of it from memory.
So! There’s that. I would tag people to do this as well, but it seems that at this point most – if not all – of the bloggers I know have already gotten it very recently. So it’s a free-for-all! If you see this and haven’t done it yet, and want to participate – go for it! Just leave a link in my comments so I can see it 🙂